The state of Ukrainian horror literature on the modern publishing market is analysed. The main players of the bookmarket are outlined, in whose repertoire there are positions of translated and original horror. A retrospective analysis of publishing statistic from 2005 to 2019 reveals that a wave-like trend of growth and decline is observed approximately every five years during this period. In 2019, the release of horror works was in a growth phase, the number of titles and circulation of publications have been steadily increasing since 2016. Translated literature is the undisputed leader both in terms of the number of titles and the size of circulation. Among the most notable publishers of translated horror are “Klub Simeynoho Dozvillya”, “Zhupansky Publishing House”, “KM-Books”, etc. The most notable original horror publishers include “Dim Khymer”, “Vivat”, “Folio”, “UA Comix”, etc. The readiness of universal and non-specialized publishers to release successful horror works that have already been published abroad can be traced. Genre-wise, Ukrainian works are represented by thrillers, dark fantasy, splatterpunk collections, etc. The Ukrainian horror community can be divided into two parts: formal (publishers) and informal (fanzines and self-publishers). The informal part is represented by fanzines “Babay” and “Pidval” — amateur initiatives of interested people who decide to fill in the niche on their own. Formal and informal parts of the community differ in their approaches to publishing communication and the search for authors. There is a trend towards cooperation rather than competition: representatives of publishing houses and fanzines join each other’s projects. The genre is gradually taking root in the book market, which has practical prospects for diversifying the publishing portfolio of Ukrainian publishers.
Keywords: horror, horror literature, book market, publishing communication, publishing repertoire.
- Myslavskyi, V. N. (2007). Kinoslovnyk. Terminy, vyznachennia, zhargonizmy [Film dictionary. Terms, definitions, jargonisms]. Kharkiv.
- Bozhko, O. S. (2017). Atmosfera “saspens” yak dominantna oznaka literaturnoho zhanru “fente-zi” [The atmosphere of “suspense” as a dominant feature of the literary genre “fantasy”]. Naukovi zapysky Natsionalnoho universytetu “Ostrozka akademiia”. Seriia Filolohichna, 67, 51–54 (in Ukrainian).
- Bezdir, N. (2011). Hotychni motyvy v suchasnii rosiiskii ta ukrainskii postmodernistskii prozi [Gothic motifs in modern Russian and Ukrainian postmodern prose]. Naukovyi visnyk Uzhhorodskoho universytetu, 26, 3–8 (in Ukrainian).
- Burdastykh, M. O. (2012). Kontsept zhakhu v romani “Kult” L. Deresha [The concept of horror in the novel “Cult” by L. Deresh]. Tainy khudozhnoho tekstu (do problemy poetyky tekstu), 15, 69–75 (in Ukrainian).
- Burdastykh, M. O. (2013). Liudskyi i aliudskyi sub’iekt u neohotytsi (na materiali romaniv “Drakula” B. Stokera y “Urizka hotyka” H. Pahutiak) [The human and non-human subject in Neo-Gothicism (based on the novels “Dracula” by B. Stoker and “Urizh Gothic” by H. Pahutyak]. Vid baroko do postmodernizmu, 17(2), 195–200 (in Ukrainian).
- Kulakevych, L. (2019). Osoblyvosti reinterpretatsii motyvu pryvydiv u povisti Geo Shkurupiia “Strashna myt” [Peculiarities of the reinterpretation of the motif of ghosts in the novel “The Terrible Moment” by Geo Shkurupii]. Naukovyi visnyk Mizhnarodnoho humanitarnoho universytetu, 43, 32–35 (in Ukrainian).
- Horniatko-Shumylovych, A. (2015). Gotychni vidlunnia u malii prozi Mykhaila Kotsiubynskoho [Gothic echoes in the short prose of Mykhailo Kotsyubynskyi]. Studia Ukrainica Posnaniensia, 3, 373–380 (in Ukrainian).
- Denysiuk, I. (2004). Literaturna hotyka i Frankova proza [Literary Gothic and Franko’s prose]. Paradyhma, 2, 142–154 (in Ukrainian).
- Lis-Markiewicz, P. (2020). The Development of the Ukrainian Horror Fiction on the Background of European Gothic Traditions: A Brief Overview. Journal Studia Ukrainica Posnaniensia, 8(2), 151–162. (in English)
- Sazonova, Ya. (2017). Cololnial and postcolonial influence on verbalising subjects-sources of fear in Ukrainian texts of horror literature. Žmogus kalbos erdvėje : mokslinių straipsnių tęstins leidinys. Kaunas : Vilniaus universiteto Kauno fakultetas, 9, 331–346. (in English)
- Hudmanian, A., Ivanova, A. (2017). Heneza ta zhanrovi osoblyvosti literatury zhakhiv z pozytsii suchasnoi nauky pro pereklad [The genesis and genre features of horror literature from the standpoint of modern translation studies]. Humanitarna osvita u tekhnichnykh vyshchykh navchalnykh zakladakh, 36, 12–17 (in Ukrainian).
- Book Chamber of Ukraine. (2005–2019). Druk Ukrainy [Print of Ukraine]. Kyiv: (in Ukrainian).
- Lir, Ye. (2019). “Zhoden absurd nikoly ne dosiahne rivnia absurdu realnoho zhyttia”: Interv’iu z Oleksiiem Zhupanskym [“No absurdity will ever reach the level of absurdity of real life”: Interview with Oleksiy Zhupanskyi]. Babay. (in Ukrainian).
- Uzhasnyi, D. (2019). Stari y novi zhakhy. Novorichni pidsumky vid Babaia. Chastyna I. [Old and new horrors. New Year’s results from Babay. Part I.]. Babay. (in Ukrainian).
- Uzhasnyi, D. (2019). Stari y novi zhakhy. Novorichni pidsumky vid Babaia. Chastyna III. Tvory v zhanri horor ta blyzkykh zhanrakh, yaki vyishly ukrainskoiu movoiu u 2018 rotsi [Old and new horrors. New Year’s results from Babay. Part III. Works in the genre of horror and related genres, which were published in Ukrainian in 2018]. Babay. (in Ukrainian).
- Uzhasnyi, D. (2019). Stari y novi zhakhy. Novorichni pidsumky vid Babaia. Chastyna II. Yak vse pochynalosia: vid “Kramnychky zhakhit” do “Babaia” [Old and new horrors. New Year’s results from Babai. Part II. How it all began: from “The Shop of Horrors” to “Babay”]. Babay. (in Ukrainian).
- Literary and artistic magazine STOS. (2015). “PISLIA OPIVNOCHI”: pryimaiemo horor-opovidannia na literaturnyi konkurs! [“AFTER MIDNIGHT”: we accept horror stories for the literary contest!]. (in Ukrainian).
- Yakaboo. (2019). Pro literaturu zhakhiv, problemy knyzhkovoho rynku ta maibutnie — vydavets Oleksii Zhupanskyi: interv’iu [About horror literature, problems of the book market and the future — publisher Oleksiy Zhupanskyi: interview]. (in Ukrainian).
- Uzhasnyi, D. (2019). Andrii Dankovych: «Moie pryznachennia v tsomu sviti — tse tvorchist» [Andriy Dankovych: “My purpose in this world is creativity”]. Babay. (in Ukrainian).
- Uzhasnyi, D. (2019). Andrii Hulkevych — pro zhakhy, fentezi, ta svii novyi roman [Andriy Gulkevych — about horror, fantasy, and his new novel]. Babay. (in Ukrainian).